Sunday, June 14, 2009

Alphabet to the rescue!

I had a super time colouring this hummingbird with watercolour pencils. I even did research on colours (although I admit I didn't conform all that closely...).





So, pretty bird, ready to go, and I was faced with the big problem - how to actually make it look nice on a card. One big problem; I had stamped and coloured on an offcut of Very Vanilla cardstock - it was an odd shape at the bottom. I couldn't cut it straight (I'd lose a lot of the flower) so tearing was in order.


Mmm, nice tear. Having two torn edges echoing each other makes the tear look "meant"; so does the sponging. That's Rose Red ink, and Rose Red cardstock underneath. I am so enjoying the fact that things match!

Now, we just need something to finish the card. I'm not much of a one for bling, so words are the go. Nothing inspires. Wait, I know, use an alphabet set, and create a short, punchy message.

So, what's a word that suits this picture, nice and sentimental, full of meaning. And it should be three or four letters long. I tried a few on scrap paper :

"Hi" and "Hello" didn't work for me, so I realised "Mum" is my special word. As a bonus, I'm sure it's time to send my Mum a pretty card.

I practiced stamping "mum" at lopsided angles, and chose a favourite. Finally I finished the card.
Phew! And people wonder why I don't turn out that many cards. But what major fun it's been!

Images © 1990-2009 Stampin' Up!®
Supplies used:
Stamp set: Spring Song, Jumbo Outline Alphabet
Ink: Basic Black, Rose Red

Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Rose Red, Always Artichoke

No comments:

Post a Comment